Learn about the historical and cultural importance of Nepal’s capital on this private tour of Kathmandu. Visit UNESCO listed sites, ancient works of architecture, and royal residences. With a commentary provided by your guide, be informed, entertained, and excited by the famous and not so famous landmarks of Kathmandu.
10:30: Drive to Pashupatinath Temple, Nepal’s most sacred Hindu shrine and one of the greatest Shiva sites, is located on the banks of the Bagmati River 5 kilometres north-east of Kathmandu Valley in the eastern city of Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal. The temple serves as the seat of the national deity, Lord Pashupatinath. This “extensive Hindu temple precinct” is a “sprawling collection of temples, ashrams, images and inscriptions raised over the centuries along the banks of the sacred Bagmati river” and is included as one of the seven monument groups in UNESCO’s designation of Kathmandu Valley as a cultural heritage site.
12:00: Move to Boudhanath, the largest stupa in Nepal and the holiest Tibetan Buddhist temple outside Tibet. It is the center of Tibetan culture in Kathmandu and rich in Buddhist symbolism. The stupa is located in the town of Boudha, on the eastern outskirts of Kathmandu. Bodnath was probably built in the 14th century after the Mughal invasions; various interesting legends are told regarding the reasons for its construction. After the arrival of thousands of Tibetans following the 1959 Chinese invasion, the temple has become one of the most important centers of Tibetan Buddhism. Today it remains an important place of pilgrimage and meditation for Tibetan Buddhists and local Nepalis, as well as a popular tourist site.
13:00: Drive to Swyambhunath Stupa atop a hill in the Kathmandu Valley. This a place of importance for both Buddhist and Hindu followers, and is possibly the most sacred amongst Buddhist pilgrimage sites. It is sometimes also known as the Monkey Temple as there are monkeys living in part of the structure!
14:30: Move to Durbar Square, also known as Hanuman Dhoka. This is a 5-acre complex of royal residences built by the Malla kings and the Shah dynasty. Observe important works of art, and hear stories about the events that took place here.
Find out about the legend of the stone inscriptions, of which is said that if someone reads all 15 inscriptions in all 15 languages, milk will erupt from the stone. If you love dairy products and have an uncanny gift for languages, step up to the challenge!
15:30: you will be driven back to your hotel where the tour will end.
- Pick Up and Return Service is available for pick up destinations within a 15-minute drive from our office locations.
- All of our car rental vehicles are chauffeur driven and air conditioned to make your trip a luxurious pleasure. Self drive is not allowed.
- Due to seating capacity limitations, the number of passengers per reservation that can be picked up and brought to the Liberty Holidays rental car location is four (4).
- Reservations must be booked a minimum of 24 hours prior to rental to allow the location adequate time for pick up and return service preparation.
- Pick Up and Return service requires the provision of pick up location address and cell phone number to the Liberty Holidays to ensure fulfillment of pick up service request.
- Airport concession agreements do not allow Liberty Holidays to offer Pick Up and Return Service at airport locations. You should not request Pick Up and Return Service if you arrive at an airport already.
- Once your reservation is booked, the Liberty Holidays will call or email you at the phone number or email address provided to confirm pick up service.
- 2 Pieces of Laggage
- 3 Doors
- 4 To 6 Passengers
- Automatic Transmission
- Gas Vehicle
- Climate Control
- Power Door Locks
- Power Windows
- Stereo CD/MP3
- Meet and Greet